August 2015 Newsletter
The dining car
Potato Pancakes, served on Chicago & North Western's Dakota
2½ cups coarsely shredded raw potatoes
1 small onion, grated
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1. In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except the oil. Stir
with a fork.
2. Preheat a skillet until a drop of water sizzles. Spread 2
tablespoons of oil over bottom of skillet.
3. Using a spatula, flatten the pancakes into 4-inch circles.
Cook until brown and crisp on underside. Turn and cook until
other side is brown and crisp. Note: Make a few pancakes a time.
4. Drain on paper towels and place on warm platter to keep
heated while preparing more pancakes. Add more oil as needed.
5. Serve pancakes with applesauce.